Spouse Visa

UK Spouse Visa or Partner Visa

You will need to apply for a spouse visa or so also call a partner visa if you want live with your partner in the UK who is already settled in the UK.  A spouse visa application is considered as one of the UK family visas applications by the Home Office. After having a spouse visa you would normally apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in no more than 28 days before completing 5 years on your spouse Visa. Our immigration lawyer in Coventry is happy to support

Spouse Visa

Spouse Visa Common Questions

The following Q&A will provide you with answers to the most common questions about the spouse visa with the main requirements. The Home Office caseworker has to be convinced that you have a genuine relationship with the sponsor. There are other requirements about your sponsor’s circumstances such as financial status and accommodation. More requirements are mentioned here below to be able come to the UK under the spouse visa. For more information call our immigration lawyer in Coventry.

 Spouse/Partner visa is a settlement visa that allows you to live together with your British/settled partner and dependent children in the UK. Holding a Spouse or a Partner Visa is the first step toward Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and, then, British Citizenship. 

  • To apply for a UK Spouse Visa your partner must either: 

  1. be a British or Irish citizen 

  2. have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status, or proof of permanent residence 

  3. be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status - they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021 

  4. have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa 

  5. have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK 

  • Submit all the required documents 
  • Enough proof to show you have a genuine relationship
  • Demonstrate your knowledge of the English language 
  • Provide evidence that you have suitable accommodation for you, your partner, and any dependents 
  • Have your biometrics completed
  • You may also need to pass a medical test to show you do not have Tuberculosis (TB), depending on your country of residence



Detail information about each of the above requirements appeared in the answer to the following question

You need to prove you are in a genuine relationship with your partner and for that you may need to provide the following evidence to the Home Office:  

  • A marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate 
  • A joint mortgage or tenancy agreement, either in the UK or outside the UK 
  • Evidence of any children you have together, such as a birth certificate 
  • Photographs that show you spent time together frequently 
  • A shared bank account or savings 
  • Text messages or social media chat logs 
  • Travel documents that prove you’ve visited each other before you got married 
  • Any documents which prove that you intend to live together in the UK

You may (or may not) need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.  

You need to pass an approved English language test at least a CEFR level A1 in Speaking and Listening, which is a beginner level for your initial application. For your extension after 2.5 years, you need to prove that you pass an approved English language test with at least a CEFR level A2, which could be considered an elementary level and is slightly more difficult than A1. For settlement, you must demonstrate that you can speak English at B1 level, which is an intermediate level. 

To be able to make a successful UK Spouse/ Partner Visa application, the couple must provide evidence of having sufficient income to support themselves in the UK. You and your partner must have a combined income of at least £29,000 a year. Support is required for children who are not British or Irish citizens, do not have pre-settled status or children who are not permanently settled in the UK. Generally, the couple must be capable of financially supporting themselves without relying on public funds. Nevertheless, there are some exceptional cases mentioned in the next question. 

In some circumstances, you do not need to meet the financial requirements of a UK Spouse/Partner Visa. If you are claiming one of the following benefits, you do not need to show the income of £29000.

  •  Disability Living Allowance 
  • Severe Disablement Allowance 
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit 
  • Attendance Allowance 
  • Carer’s Allowance 
  • Personal Independence Payment 
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme 
  • Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme 
  • Police Injury Pension 

However, you still need to provide evidence that you have enough money to support your dependents.  The exact amount you need will depend on your individual circumstances. Normally, you will need at least £142.25 per week after you have paid for housing. If you have a child or children, this amount will increase. (contact us to assess your circumstances)

  • Your UK partner/sponsor needs to show that she/he can provide adequate accommodation for themselves, the applicant and any dependents who intend to live in the UK. The accommodation should be suitable and meets UK living standards and must not be overcrowded.  


You need to provide to the Home Office the followings: 

  •  Evidence that you can afford to pay for the accommodation 
  • A description of the property  
  • Proof that there are enough rooms within the property to accommodate everyone 
Please contact us to get more information about the accommodation size.

As part of your UK Spouse/Partner Visa application you need to have a Tuberculosis Test if you are a resident in any of these listed countries (There should be a link for the countries required TB test) 


(If you need further information for TB, please click on this link ).   

You need to have information and some evidence ready when you make UK Spouse/Partner application. The information and documents needed depend on your circumstances. In general, support documents include personal information, financial circumstances, English language, and evidence of genuine and continuing relationships.

Contact our immigration lawyer to assess your case and inform you about the necessary documents that are needed.

The amount of the Home Office fee depends on whether you are applied from outside or inside the UK and the number of dependents: 


 Fees updated in November 2023 

Apply outside the UK 

Apply in the UK 

Fee for Spouse visa application to join your partner 



Fee for each dependent added to your application 

£1,538 each person 

£1,846 each person 

  In addition to the Home Office fee you might also need to also pay for what is called Immigration Healthcare Surcharge:


For each adult (18 or older) it costs: 

  • £1,560 if you are staying for 2 years and 6 months (this will increase in January 16th to £2,587.5)
  • £1,872 if you are staying for 2 years and 9 months (this will increase in January 16th to £3,105) 

For each child (under 18), it costs: 

  • £1,175 if you are staying for 2 years and 6 months (this will increase in January 16th to £1,940)
  • £1,410 if you are staying for 2 years and 9 months (this will increase in January 16th to  £2,328)

You can submit your application and upload the support documents online.  After submitting your application, you will also need to attend an appointment at a visa application centre to enroll in biometric data (photograph and fingerprints) as part of the process.

 If the Home Office caseworker examining your application has doubts about the genuineness of your relationship, you may be asked to attend a Spouse Visa Interview. You will be asked questions about your relationship to ensure the marriage is authentic. 


If you are applying from within the UK, the process is different as you need to provide evidence that you are in the country on an eligibility visa to switch to the UK spouse visa. 

If you apply outside the UK, a decision will usually be made within 24 weeks according to the current UK government website (dated July 2022). If you apply in the UK a decision will usually be made within 8 weeks of your application date if you use the standard service (dated July 2022).

Currently, Home Office offers a super-priority service (with extra charge) to provide a quick decision within two working days after providing the biometric information.

 It might take longer if your application is complex or missing documents/information.

When your UK Spouse/Partner visa application is accepted, you will be allowed to enter the UK within a 90-day period. Upon your arrival to the UK, you will need to collect what is called a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from a post office in the UK. 

You can stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months if you apply from outside the UK.  If you extend your UK Spouse visa or switch to this visa while you are in the UK, you can stay in the UK for 2 years and 6 months. After this period of time, you will either be under 5-year or 10-year route to have your Indefinite Leave to Remain. Please check the next question for further information.

You can stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months if you apply from outside of the UK and then you need to submit an extension application for every two and half years. During your first extension (after 2 years and 9 months) if you fail to meet the immigration status, English language, or financial requirements, you may lose your right to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain under the 5 years route. Consequently, you may have to apply for further extensions until your total stay in the UK become 10 years to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.  


Following your Indefinite Leave to Remain, you will be able to apply for Naturalisation to become a British citizen. 

How can we help with Spouse Visa and how much is our fee?

UK Spouse visa or partner visa application can be complex and requires various supporting documents. You will need to ensure that you meet all of the requirements and complete the relevant forms and collect your evidence for submission. This may need to be extensive to prove that your relationship is genuine.  


The Home Office and Immigration Health Surcharge fees for a spouse visa are relatively expensive.  It is therefore advisable to have an immigration lawyer to ensure your application is fully complete and accurate before the submission. The main work in this type of visa is related to the submission of the support documents to avoid visa refusal or delay in getting your visa. Contact us at  02475233888 or 07879927501   or book a free 15 minutes meeting to speak with one of our immigration lawyers about your application for a Spouse Visa UK. You can also arrange a meeting in our office.


Our immigration adviser who deals with Spouse visas has long experience and will let you know what information is needed. You may need to prepare documents earlier ahead of submitting your application so why not give us a call and get more information with 15 minutes free consultation?

Our Services for Spouse Visa

Here is below a list of our service for a spouse visa. Once you agree to take our service we will:

  • arrange a follow-up meeting after the free meeting to discuss more details and to assess your circumstances.
  • send you a client care letter that includes all the information and support documents that you need to be prepare and upload to our share point.
  • check all the information you shared and let you know of any missing or if more support documents are needed.
  •  complete the application on your behalf and share.
  • write a detailed letter of representation to support your application. The letter will be submitted with the application
  • book an appointment to provide your biometrics (Digital photo, and fingerprints)
  • follow up with the Home office and provide you with regular updates.
  • close your case once your BRP is received, we will advise you with all the documents needed for the next stage. 
  •  keep your information and document confidential and will not be shared with a third party
  • return the original documents once the case is closed. 

Our fee for the spouse visa service

Call us to get informaiton about the fee for the spouse visa application including all the services mentioned above .