Spouse Visa

UK Spouse Visa or Partner Visa

You will need to apply for a spouse visa or so also call a partner visa if you want live with your partner in the UK who is already settled in the UK.  A spouse visa application is considered as one of the UK family visas applications by the Home Office. After having a spouse visa you would normally apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in no more than 28 days before completing 5 years on your spouse Visa. Our immigration lawyer in Coventry is happy to support

Spouse Visa

Spouse Visa Common Questions

The following Q&A will provide you with answers to the most common questions about the spouse visa with the main requirements. The Home Office caseworker has to be convinced that you have a genuine relationship with the sponsor. There are other requirements about your sponsor’s circumstances such as financial status and accommodation. More requirements are mentioned here below to be able come to the UK under the spouse visa. For more information call our immigration lawyer.00

What is a UK Spouse or Partner Visa?

 Spouse/Partner visa is a settlement visa that allows you to live together with your British/settled partner and dependent children in the UK. Holding a Spouse or a Partner Visa is the first step towards Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and, subsequently, British Citizenship. 

What are the Requirements of Spouse Visa?

  • To apply for a UK Spouse Visa, your partner must meet one of the following criteria: 

  1. be a British or Irish citizen 

  2. have settled in the UK, such as indefinite leave to remain, settled status, or proof of permanent residence 

  3. be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein and with pre-settled status , having started living in the UK before 1 January 2021 

  4. have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa 

  5. have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK 

  • Submit all the required documents 
  • Enough proof to show you have a genuine relationship
  • Demonstrate your knowledge of the English language 
  • Provide evidence that you have suitable accommodation for you, your partner, and any dependents 
  • Have your biometrics completed
  • You may also need to pass a medical test to show you do not have Tuberculosis (TB), depending on your country of residence
Detailed information about each of the above requirements are provided in the answer to the following questions.

What is the Evidence to Show Genuine and Subsisting Relationship

You need to prove that you are in a genuine relationship with your partner and for that you may need to provide the following evidence to the Home Office:  

  • A marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate 
  • A joint mortgage or tenancy agreement, either in the UK or outside the UK 
  • Evidence of any children you have together, such as a birth certificate 
  • Photographs showing frequent time spent together 
  • Evidence of a shared bank account or savings 
  • Text messages or social media chat logs 
  • Travel documents  proving visits to each other before marriage 
  • Any documents demonstrating your intention to live together in the UK

What is the English Language Requirement of Spouse Visa?

You may or may not need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.  

For your initial application, you need to pass an approved English language test at least at level A1 in Speaking and Listening, which is a beginner level. For your extension after 2.5 years, you must demonstrate proficiency at Level A2, considered an elementary level and is slightly more advanced than A1. 

What are the Financial Requirements of Spouse Visa?

To be able to make a successful UK Spouse/ Partner Visa application, the couple must provide evidence of having sufficient income to support themselves in the UK. You and your partner must have a combined income of at least £29,000 a year. Generally, the couple must be capable of financially supporting themselves without relying on public funds. However, there are some exceptional cases mentioned in the subsequent question. 

Are there Exceptions for the Financial Requirement of Spouse Visa?

In some circumstances, you do not need to meet the financial requirements of a UK Spouse/Partner Visa. If you are claiming one of the following benefits, you do not need to show the income of £29000.

  •  Disability Living Allowance 
  • Severe Disablement Allowance 
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit 
  • Attendance Allowance 
  • Carer’s Allowance 
  • Personal Independence Payment 
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme 
  • Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme 
  • Police Injury Pension 

However, you still need to provide evidence that you have enough money to support your dependents.  The exact amount you need will depend on your individual circumstances. 

What Are the Accommodation Requirements?

Your UK partner/sponsor needs to show that they can provide adequate accommodation for themselves, the applicant and any dependents who intend to live in the UK. The accommodation must be suitable, meeting UK living standards and must not be overcrowded.  


You need to provide to the Home Office the followings: 

  • Evidence that you can afford to pay for the accommodation 
  • Tenancy agreement, land of registry/mortgage statement etc
  • Proof that there are enough rooms within the property to accommodate everyone 

For Which Countries Tuberculosis Test is Requiread?

As part of your UK Spouse/Partner Visa application you need to undergo a Tuberculosis Test if you are a resident in any of these listed countries For a list of these countries required TB test, please click on this link .   

What are the Home Office and Immigration Health Surcharge Fees for Spouse Visa?

The amount of the Home Office fee depends on whether you are applied from outside or inside the UK and the number of dependents: 


 Home Office Fee

Apply outside the UK 

Apply in the UK 

Fee for Spouse visa application to join your partner 



Fee for each dependent added to your application 

£1,846 each person 

£1,048 each person 

In addition to the Home Office fee you might also need to also pay for what is called Immigration Healthcare Surcharge:


For each adult (18 or older) it costs: 

  • £2,587.50 if you are staying for 2 years and 6 months 
  • £3,105 if you are staying for 2 years and 9 months 

For each child (under 18), it costs: 

  • £1,940 if you are staying for 2 years and 6 months 
  • £2,328 if you are staying for 2 years and 9 months 

How do You Apply for a Spouse Visa?

You can submit your application and upload supporting documents online.  After submitting your application, you will need to attend an appointment at a visa application centre to enroll biometric data (photograph and fingerprints) as part of the process.

 If the Home Office caseworker reviewing your application has concerns about the genuineness of your relationship, you may be required to attend a Spouse Visa Interview. During this interview, you will be asked questions to verify the authenticity of your marriage. 

If you are applying from within the UK, the process differs as you must provide evidence that you are currently in the country on an eligible visa in order to switch to the UK spouse visa. 

How long Does the Spouse/Partner Visa Process Take?

If you apply outside the UK, a decision will usually be made within 24 weeks according to the current UK government website (as of June 2024). If you apply within the UK using the standard service, a decision will usually be made within 8 weeks of your application date (as of June 2024).


Currently, Home Office offers a super-priority service (with an additional charge) for the application made within the UK, providing a quick decision within two working days after providing biometric information.

If you apply outside the UK, you can opt for the fast-track service, which aims to provide a decision within 30 working days. 

 It might take longer if your application is complex or missing documents/information.

What Happens after your UK Spouse Visa Application is Accepted? 

When your UK Spouse/Partner visa application is approved, you will have a 90-day period to enter the UK. Upon arrival in the UK, you will need to collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from a designated post office in the UK. 

How long Can You Stay in the UK Under Spouse Visa?

You can stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months if you apply from outside the UK.  If you extend your UK Spouse visa or switch to this visa while you are in the UK, you can stay for 2 years and 6 months. After this period, you will follow either the 5-year or 10-year route to qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain. For more details, please refer to the next question. 

Will you be under the 5 Years or the 10 Years Route?

You can stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months if you apply from outside of the UK, after which you need to submit an extension application every two and half years. During your first extension (after 2 years and 9 months) failing to meet the immigration status, English language, or financial requirements may result in losing your eligibility to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain under the 5- year route. Consequently, you may need to apply for further extensions until your total stay in the UK reaches 10 years to qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain.  

Following your acquisition of Indefinite Leave to Remain, you will be eligible to apply for Naturalisation to become a British citizen. 

Can I use my cash savings if my income is less than £29,000?

Yes, you may be able to combine your income with your cash savings. You can use our cash savings calculator below if your income less than £29,000. 

Spouse Visa Cash Saving Calculator

How can we help with Spouse Visa and how much is our fee?

UK Spouse visa or partner visa application can be complex and requires various supporting documents. You will need to ensure that you meet all of the requirements and complete the relevant forms and collect your evidence for submission. This may need to be extensive to prove that your relationship is genuine.  


The Home Office and Immigration Health Surcharge fees for a spouse visa are relatively expensive.  It is therefore advisable to have an immigration lawyer to ensure your application is fully complete and accurate before the submission. The main work in this type of visa is related to the submission of the support documents to avoid visa refusal or delay in getting your visa. Contact us at  02475233888 or 07879927501   or book a free 15 minutes meeting to speak with one of our immigration lawyers about your application for a Spouse Visa UK. You can also arrange a meeting in our office.


Our immigration adviser who deals with Spouse visas has long experience and will let you know what information is needed. You may need to prepare documents earlier ahead of submitting your application so why not give us a call and get more information with 15 minutes free consultation?

Our Services for Spouse Visa

Here is below a list of our service for a spouse visa. Once you agree to take our service we will:

  • arrange a follow-up meeting after the free meeting to discuss more details and to assess your circumstances.
  • send you a client care letter that includes all the information and support documents that you need to be prepare and upload to our share point.
  • check all the information you shared and let you know of any missing or if more support documents are needed.
  •  complete the application on your behalf and share.
  • write a detailed letter of representation to support your application. The letter will be submitted with the application
  • book an appointment to provide your biometrics (Digital photo, and fingerprints)
  • follow up with the Home office and provide you with regular updates.
  • close your case once your BRP is received, we will advise you with all the documents needed for the next stage. 
  •  keep your information and document confidential and will not be shared with a third party
  • return the original documents once the case is closed. 

Our fee for the spouse visa service

Call us to get information about the fee for the spouse visa application including all the services mentioned above .